Construction Plant Certification Scheme (CPCS)
The Construction Plant Certification Scheme (CPCS) recognises a Plant Operator’s skills through a practical route of experience, training and knowledge.
All Operatives are required to undertake a Technical Test in their chosen category of plant. This will consist of two parts:
- A theory test (which incorporates questions relating to underpinning knowledge, specific category and environment-related H&S, and operator’s rights and responsibilities).
- A practical test of ability
Frequently Asked Questions
- Costs/ CITB Grants- Full Technical Tests
- Please note: a monitor notification fee of £28 for both the Theory Test element and the Practical Test element is included in the price. This fee will be non-refundable if you wish to reschedule a test after notification has already taken place.
- Any cancellations within 7-14 days prior to the assessment will incur a £100 administration charge per operative.
- Cancellations made within 7 days of the assessment full fees will still apply.
- Please be advised, should your candidate fail to achieve the necessary pass mark on the Theory element, they will be unable to proceed with the practical. Full fees will still be applied in this instance.
Category Max Number of Candidates assessed per day Cost for 1 x Candidate (Theory & Practical) Cost for 2 x Candidate (Theory & Practical) Cost for 3 x Candidate (Theory & Practical) Current CPCS Grant Available on achievement per candidate (combined Theory & Practical) D90- All endorsements 2 £975+VAT £1450 + VAT N/A £470 D92, A42, A43 3* N/A £1050 + VAT £1500 + VAT £470
- Demolition Plant (D90)
Demolition Plant- Materials Processing (360)
Demolition Plant- Up to 10 Tonne (360)
Demolition Plant- Demolish up to 15m (360)
Demolition Plant- Demolish up to 30m (360)
Demolition Plant- Demolish all Heights (360) Code Endorsement
Demolition Plant- Skid Steer Tool Carrier- Extracting
Demolition Plant- Skid Steer Tool Carrier- Demolishing Code Endorsement
- The D90 category is broken down as follows;
- D90A - Materials processing
- D90B - Demolition using plant under 10 tonnes
- D90C - Demolition up to 15m
- D90D - Demolition up to 30m
- D90E - Demolition above 30m (All heights)
- D90F - Lifting operations
- The D92 Demolition Skidsteer category is broken down as follows;
- D92A - Extracting
- D92B - Demolishing
CPCS Red Trained Operator Card
The CPCS Red Trained Operator Card is issued on successful completion of the CPCS Theory and Practical Technical Tests which must be taken with a CPCS accredited test centre.
Carry out any training necessary to bring you up to the standard required to enable you to pass the CPCS technical test.
Pass the relevant CITB Health, Safety and Environment test.
Achieve the CPCS theory test (within two years of the CITB health, safety and environment test). CPCS theory tests are delivered by an approved CPCS test centre.
LinksFind a test centre
Achieve the CPCS practical test (within six months of the CPCS theory test and within two years of the CITB health, safety and environment test). CPCS theory tests are delivered by an approved CPCS test centre.
LinksFind a test centre
PLEASE NOTE: CPCS Cards are now administered by NOCN. To find out more about how to get a red Trained Operator card, extend a red card, add categories to your card or upgrade to a blue Competent Operator card, please contact NOCN.
LinksNOCN Job Cards Website
CPCS Blue Competent Operator Card
It is important to take the necessary steps to upgrading your red card to a full Blue Competent Operator card.
Hold Red Trained Operator Card.
Register for the appropriate NVQ.
Check that your HSE test has been taken within the last 2 years.
Complete CPCS F1.2 form and return to CPCS with payment to receive your Blue Competent Operator Card.
PLEASE NOTE: Card is valid for 5 years. To renew a Competent Operator card you will need to take a renewal test and follow the steps laid out by CPCS.
LinksNOCN Job Cards Renew
CPCS A59 (360) Excavator Card (Red or Blue)
If you currently hold a Red or Blue A59 (360) Excavator card, but wish to add Demolition Plant, you will need to complete a full D90 technical test for the required category and complete the relevant NVQ unit.
Complete the D90 Technical Test.
Register for appropriate NVQ. You will hold a 2nd CPCS Card (Red Trained Operator) until the NVQ unit is completed.
Check that your HSE test is in date within the last 2 years.
Complete CPCS F1.2 (write D90 Conversion across the top) and return to CPCS with payment to receive your Blue Competent Operator card in D90C
PLEASE NOTE: CPCS Cards are now administered by NOCN. To find out more about how to convert your A59 (360) Excavator Card to include demolition plant, please contact NOCN.